1. Now when the people saw that Moses delayed coming down from the mountain, the people gathered together to Aaron, and said to him, “Come, make us gods that shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.”
2. And Aaron said to them, “Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me.”
3. So all the people broke off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them to Aaron.
4. And he received the gold from their hand, and he fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made a molded calf. Then they said, “This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!”
This is a stunning passage that most Christians are familiar with. Israel had been freed from Egypt by the Lord, and while Moses was up on the mountain talking with the Lord, they grew impatient waiting and asked Aaron to make them a god.
Today many Christians have grown impatient waiting for the return of our Lord Jesus. They have begun to look for other ways to God. They have embraced emerging church metaphysical techniques, some subscribe to a kingdom now philosophy, they have chased after Oprah's false gospel of self, they pursue yoga and meditation to obtain contact with the spiritual guides, and in Lakeland Florida they pursue Todd Bently's god of violence and error.
In Exodus 32:2 the word demonstrates a very common theme, whenever people pursue false gods they get fleeced. Today we don't break of the golden earrings, we simply plant our seed of faith offering. This of course is supposed to bring you a return of 100 times the money you give, so the more money you give the more money you get. This is a serious twisting of scripture, and totally revolves around greed. Let's see what 2 Peter 2:1-3 says, "1. There used to be false prophets among God’s people, just as you will have some false teachers in your group. They will secretly teach things that are wrong—teachings that will cause people to be lost. They will even refuse to accept the Master, Jesus, who bought their freedom. So they will bring quick ruin on themselves. 2. Many will follow their evil ways and say evil things about the way of truth. 3. Those false teachers only want your money, so they will use you by telling you lies. Their judgment spoken against them long ago is still coming, and their ruin is certain".
In Exodus 32:3 we see that when Christians seek false gods, there will always be someone who will help them do just that. Todd Bently presents his god as one that tells him to kick senior citizens in the face, or to tackle and choke, punch, beat crippled legs upon the ground, or do leg drops on christians to heal and bless them. Other false teachers prescribe demonic possession through transference of a so called "blessing", with the resultant signs of barking like dogs, clucking like chickens, talking like snakes, rolling around the floors, simulating lewd behavior, acting like they are drunk or insane, or shaking and trembling uncontrollably like they are having a seizure. Even though all of this behavior goes contrary to what the word of God intructs us to do, by doing everything decently and in order. These men claim that their god is the Lord God, and that simply is not so. God will not violate His word, and yet these proponents and their adherants consistently say, "You can't keep God in a box" to justify every imaginable and unimaginable behavior. All the while the word of God is very clear in 2 John, verse 9 "Anyone who goes beyond Christ's teaching and does not continue to follow only his teaching does not have God". We are warned not to go beyond Christ's teaching. The word goes on in 2 John verse 10 and 11 to say, "If someone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not welcome or accept that person into your house. If you welcome such a person, you share in the evil work". And yet so many flock to these false teacher and preachers to be entertained, and to have an experience. They have grown tired waiting upon the Lord, they have run off to pursue other gods, to find their own way.
7. Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down from this mountain, because your people, the people you brought out of the land of Egypt, have ruined themselves.
8. They have quickly turned away from the things I commanded them to do. They have made for themselves a calf covered with gold, and they have worshiped it and offered sacrifices to it. They have said, ‘Israel, these are your gods who brought you out of Egypt.’ ”
9. The Lord said to Moses, “I have seen these people, and I know that they are very stubborn.
10. So now do not stop me. I am so angry with them that I am going to destroy them. Then I will make you and your descendants a great nation.”
Thankfully, Moses interceded to the Lord for the Israelites and God spared the nation, although over three thousand died for this sin, and punishment for it came at the appointed time. This is a warning to the modern church: Stop seeking after gods that are not God. Stop violating the holy word of God. Stop accepting false teachers and preachers into your midst, and stop supporting their false ministries. Repent, and return to our Lord. He is merciful, and the Lord Jesus does make intersession for you to the Father. Repent of evil works before it is too late, punishment for sin is not long delayed.
2 Peter 3:9-12a
9. The Lord is not slow in doing what he promised—the way some people understand slowness. But God is being patient with you. He does not want anyone to be lost, but he wants all people to change their hearts and lives.
10. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The skies will disappear with a loud noise. Everything in them will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be exposed.
11. In that way everything will be destroyed. So what kind of people should you be? You should live holy lives and serve God,
12. as you wait for and look forward to the coming of the day of God.